Coffees from Hacienda La Papaya are the result of a
meticulous integral process. This starts at the nursery
where the best seeds are selected, considering origin and
mother plants characteristics.
Suitable techniques are applied in the sowing for the correct plant development by following a Manual of Coffee Process. This ensures an efficient fertilization management throughout the entire farm and maximum control at every stage of the plant’s growth.
We are committed to produce specialty grade coffee by following the highest quality standards of coffee processing. Various controlled fermentation techniques are applied to the best handpicked cherries, ensuring a clean cup and different flavor profiles.
Finally, the drying process takes place inside drying rooms covered with greenhouse plastic film, and curtains on the side which allow efficient airflow, temperature and humidity management.
Our team is formed by a coffee producer, quality
analyst, barista and roaster. Our mission is to find
the best suitable methods to produce the highest
In order to achieve our objectives, we found
ourselves constantly experimenting with new
processing and drying techniques that would
generate the best flavor profile and a clean cup.
Every year we work on four main experiments.
Partnership with the University of Cuenca.
- Drip Irrigation.
- Solid fertilization.
- Liquid fertilization / Drip Fertirrigation.
- Cup flavor profile according to applied fertilizers.
- Production yield according to combined fertilization systems (solid and liquid).
- Drying methods / Quantification of Acids / Carbohydrates
/ Sugars and Aromatics in: Green Coffee, Roasted,
- Combined fertilization / Quantification of Acids / Carbohydrates / Sugars and Aromatics in: Green Coffee, Roasted, Extracted.
- Drying methods / Predominant elements in: Green Coffe, Roasted, Extracted.
- Structure of companies and business systems.
- Marketing for the Plan of Agrotourism and Specialty
- Process Manual for an exporting company.
EXPERIMENTAL TESTS APPLIED DURING THE PROCESS OF QUALITY CONTROL AND CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT
- Fully Washed
(Method 001) - Airflow 0%
Movement Internal air produced by forced air coming from the fans.
(Method 002) – Airflow 50%
Cold air entry through high window.
Warm air Exit through high window.
(Method 003) – Airflow 100%
Air entry through high window + low window
Air exit through high window + low window
Internal return of air
DIRECT EXPOSURE TO SUNLIGHT
- Drying bed (High 90cm) exposed to the sun 100%
11 km de la Iglesia de Tenta
Saraguro - Loja - Ecuador
+593 98 637 7827
Mariano Cueva 11-86 y Sangurima
Cuenca - Ecuador